Welcome Boxes provide vulnerable children in a time of crisis with age appropriate delightful things to occupy them in this most vulnerable time of waiting at the DHS office. These boxes are given to children in the Tri-county area who are awaiting foster home placement, struggling with disappointment if a birth parent doesn’t show up, or during a transfer from one foster home to another. Welcome boxes are a tangible act of love.
In May 2012, the first 25 boxes were delivered. To date the Embrace Oregon community has provided more than 13,000 Welcome Boxes.
Creating a Welcome Box is easy.
- Decide which age range and gender you want to make a box for.
- Select a photo box for your Welcome Box (please no shoe boxes). Photo boxes can be found at stores like Fred Meyer, Joann Fabrics and Michael’s.
- Fill the box with ESSENTIAL items and at least 7 EXTRA items. Click here for a handout on Welcome Boxes, including an items list.
- Tape a handwritten note that speaks value and love over the child who will receive the box, such as YOU ARE LOVED, YOU ARE IMPORTANT, MADE FOR YOU WITH LOVE, YOU MATTER, etc.
- Cut out the Welcome Box Label. Select the age and gender it’s for. Download Avery 5163 Label Template. OR Download labels to cut out.
- Place a rubber band around the box.
- Contact a Welcome Box Coordinator for a nearby drop-off location:
MULTNOMAH COUNTY: Jeff and Mari Lou Holmes — firstname.lastname@example.org
WASHINGTON COUNTY: Jessica Eischen and Erin Good — email@example.com
CLACKAMAS COUNTY: Haley Shambin – Haleyshamblin@gmail.com
OR fill out our Contact form
To download the Welcome Box brochure, click here
Boxes of Love
Boxes of Love provides children in foster care who are receiving medical treatment with a large box of new clothing, shoes, and other comfort items for their transition from the hospital into a new foster home. Most Boxes of Love are given to children under the age of 2.
were delivered to children at hospitals in the Portland area.
Contributing to a Box of Love
All items for Boxes of Love must be new. For opportunities to donate gently used items, please contact With Love. There are 3 ways to get involved:
1. Collect items for an infant’s first two years in foster care. Click here for the list of items needed
- Clothing (complete outfits)
- Toiletries (baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion)
- Diaper wipes
- Diaper cream
- Receiving blankets
- Burp cloths
- Miscellaneous baby items: pacifiers, bottles, teething rings, rattles
2. Collect gift cards to stores like Target, Kohl’s, Carter’s, Fred Meyer.
3. Fill a box!
A. Purchase a 40QT plastic tub with lid
B. Decide on whether your Box of Love will be for a boy or girl.
c. Fill your box with items for the child’s first two years of foster care, keeping in mind the child’s size in different seasons. For a child born in August, for example:
- Newborn: summer outfits (3), summer pajamas (1), socks, hat, receiving blanket, swaddlers
- 0-3 months: fall outfits (3), fall pajamas (1), socks, hat
- 3-6 months: winter outfits (3), winter pajamas (1), blanket, hat, socks, coat/snowsuit, swaddlers
- 6-9 months: spring outfits (3), spring pajamas (1), socks, hat, shoes
- 9-12 months: summer outfits (3), summer pajamas (1), socks, shoes
- 12-18 months: fall/winter outfits (3), winter pajamas (1), socks, shoes, coat
- 18-24 months: spring/summer outfits (3), summer pajamas (1), socks, shoes, jacket
- Miscellaneous: baby books, pacifier, hair brush, baby wash, baby shampoo, baby lotion, diaper wipes, diaper cream, teething rings
D. For drop-off Locations, click here
Each year, nearly 1,000 children in the state of Oregon age out of the foster care system. Launch Boxes provide a few basic necessities as these young adults transition out on their own for the first time.
Creating a Launch Box is easy:
1. PURCHASE A 40QT STORAGE TOTE, TUB, OR BIN
2. Fill the box with:
- Laundry Detergent
- Dish Soap
- 2 Plates
- 2 Bowls
- 2 Utensil Sets
- 2 Hand Towels
- 2 Bath Towels
- Roll of Paper Towels
- Roll of Toilet Paper
- Toothbrush and Toothpaste
- Small First Aid Kit
- Soap Bar
- Can Opener
3. Choose to include additional items
such as gift cards, non-perishable food items, a tool set, candles, picture frames, etc.
4. Include a Card
Include a handwritten card that speaks value and love over the child who will receive the box, such as YOU ARE LOVED, YOU ARE IMPORTANT, MADE FOR YOU WITH LOVE, YOU MATTER, etc.
5. Contact Us
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for a nearby drop-off location.
To download the Launch Box brochure, click here